Board Meeting Minutes
|Posted by Luce County EDC on August 23, 2016 at 1:10 PM|
Luce County Economic Development Corporation
Board of Directors
Regular Board Meeting
EDC Conference Room
March 1, 2016
Present: Colleen Duflo, Mike Slaght, A.J. Downey, John Waltman, Mary Archambeau
and Dave Kenny (arrived at 4:10 p.m.)
Absent: Joe Villemure, Cliff Fossitt and Jimm Depew
The meeting was called to order at 4:04 p.m. by Chairperson Duflo.
Communications from Public: None
Approval of Minutes
The minutes of the Regular Board Meeting January 6, 2016 were reviewed and approved as presented. Motion made by Duflo, seconded by Downey . All Ayes
Approval of Financial Report/Bills
The regular financial report and bills paid for January and February were reviewed and approved as presented. Motion by Slaght , seconded by Waltman . All Ayes.
1. Regional Water Trail/Letter of Support-The EUP Regional Planning & Development has asked us to send a letter of support. Motion by Waltman, to send a letter of support or resolution, seconded by Downey. Roll call vote: yes-Slaght, Duflo, Kenny, Waltman, Downey and Archambeau. No-none. Absent-Villemure, Fossitt and Depew.
2. New Loan/Finance Committee Recommendation-The finance committee discussed with the board about a perspective new business coming to the area and what they are asking for from the EDC. Tammy will contact them to discuss their options.
1. Audit was completed, report soon to follow.
2. Working on my first loan.
3. Rising tides meeting every other week, making progress.
4. Attended a meeting on obtaining workforce from other countries. Very expensive and a lot of hoops to jump through, not worth it for local companies due to regulations and expense.
5. Attended first UPEDA meeting and learned a great deal of information. Putting some of the ideas into action starting with the SWOT analysis done via email.
6. Attended Operation Action UP annual meeting: several business were awarded including our own Northern Wings. Common theme among recipients: need skilled and drug free workforce.
7. Met with a group that supports the downtown business movement. Ideas were gathered and as a result activities in the summer may be planned. Such as a movie night; businesses stay open late; music etc. Nothing final yet.
8. Visited new business Tangled Creations; doing well at this time.
9. Newspaper ideas to share who we are and what we do: Press release or ad?
10. Registered to attend the Governors Economic and Education Summit in Grand Rapids. Carpooling with EUP to save money.
11. Industrial Park part of a grant to conduct an energy survey. Results should show that we are more cost effective and power strong than other industrial parks.
Loan Portfolio updated –Hand Out
RLF Balance – Hand out
Communications from the Public: None
Adjourned: Motion by Slaght, seconded by Downey . All Ayes. Meeting adjourned at 4:47 pm.
Cliff Fossitt, Secretary/Colleen Duflo, Chairperson