Board Meeting Minutes
|Posted by Luce County EDC on February 7, 2017 at 12:55 AM|
Luce County Economic Development Corporation
Board of Directors
Regular Board Meeting
EDC Conference Room
November 1, 2016
Present: Colleen Duflo, Mike Slaght, A.J. Downey, John Waltman, Mary Archambeau,
Dave Kenny, Jonathan Grubb and Cliff Fossitt arriving at 4:20 p.m.
Absent: Joe Villemure
Others Present: None
The meeting was called to order at 4:01 p.m. by Chairperson Duflo.
Welcome new board member Jonathan Grubb!
Moment of Silence for Charlie Cleaver and also sending good thoughts for board member Joe Villemure.
Communications from Public: None
Approval of Minutes
The minutes of the Regular Board Meeting September 6, 2016 were reviewed and approved as presented. Motion made by Downey, seconded by Slaght . All Ayes
Approval of Financial Report/Bills
The regular financial report and bills for September and October were reviewed and approved as presented. Motion by Slaght, seconded by Kenny . All Ayes.
1. Open Discussion/Economic Development-
2. Finance Committee Recommendations-to accept the 2017 budget
3. 2017 Budget: Tammy has redone the budget to make it easier for viewing, after discussion there was a motion by Waltman, seconded by Downey to accept the 2017 budget. All Ayes
4. EUP Regional Planning/Letter of Support: Letter to support the Eastern UP Properity Region’s grant application for Regional Prosperity Initiative 2017 grant funding. Motion by Waltman, seconded by Kenny. All Ayes.
• Reviewed all loans – some work to be done to clean things up
• Lot 2 finally closed and filed
• Contacted Amy Berglund from the MEDC about possible trade shows.
• Spent a lot of time with Sharon and Lance to finish her business plan.
• Retention visits with new form; Zellars and Luann Scheerer and discussed zoom prospector. Also, Timber Charlie’s
• Worked on 2017 budget and making it transparent. Jonathan came and helped me work through that process. Our budget should be easy to read for anyone and detailed enough to show all funds in and out.
• Attended Michigan Municipal League meeting in Lansing with the 10 rising tide communities.
• Met with Becket and Rader that are writing the master plan for the village they are gathering a lot of information.
• I am the Brownfield redevelopment authority representative for Luce County – Jen Tucker from DEQ will be training me on this. A board will need to be formed. I am still gathering information.
• Julie from MEDC and I met with local businesses about possible grant funding. Met with Renze, Dave and Joe and Joe at IGA. Dave is the only one with a possible qualifying project. No other businesses were interested.
• Rising tides still moving forward while a permanent village manager is found.
August & September 2016 LMI
Loan Portfolio updated –Hand Out
RLF Balance – Hand out
Communications from the Public: None
Discussion about getting the word out that Newberry is looking for New Businesses/entrepreneur’s, looking into new grants that are coming up. Cliff brought up buying the “Pines” building and get the matching grant and renting it out. Tammy will be looking into this and seeing if the EDC can even qualify for any grants seeing that the EDC is a government entity. Another item brought up was having a press release sending out quarterly.
Adjourned: Motion by Archambeau, seconded by Waltman . All Ayes. Meeting adjourned at 5:03 p.m
Approved by_____________________________________on_________________________2016 Cliff Fossitt, Secretary/Colleen Duflo, Chairperson